Thursday, January 1, 2015

The three nails.

 

I have a large collection of martial arts books which I often use as a reference for my Aikido journey. Sometimes one sentence catches ones attention. In a book from this collection a suggestion was made as to Aikido and Tai chi would be wonderful to complement each other. This caused me to try to study the theory of Tai chi and Taoism alongside my Aikido practice. This way one's perception of the martial arts changes and becomes more full.

 

A few of my books

William C.C. Chen

 

A concept which is easily transferred to Aikido, walking and many other movement based activities is " The three nails". A tai chi master called William C.C. Chen introduced me to this idea and I've been studying and using this concept a lot. Master Chen is a student of the famous Tai chi master Cheng Man Ching. Well known in American history of Tai chi.

 

Cheng Man Ching.

 

In short it can be said that when walking or producing force through contact with the ground the human body uses the foot to do so. The three nails are three points on the foot which interact with each other through a virtual line between them. When one uses this line consciously more natural force can be produced. In Aikido one can practice this line while doing projections with breath power, kokyu nage. Also this line can be well understood when doing torifune or rowing excercise.

 

 

Enjoy practice.

 

Original article can be found here:

http://www.williamccchen.com/DOC5.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment